A very often cooked traditional dish in winters is saag made from mustard leaves. Its taste enhances with corn flour chapati and in villages it is taken with this chapati. In breakfast it is eaten with parathas. This is very healthy and fibrous dish.
- 1 kg Mustard leaves cut
- 1/2 kg Spinach leaves cut
- 5 - 6 Green chillies
- 5 - 6 Garlic cloves
- 3 – 4 Garlic cloves
- 1 inch piece Ginger crushed
- Butter for frying
- Mix all the ingredients above and add plenty of water and cook over medium flame for 4 – 5 hours.
- When its cooked, blend them with the electric blender till it form a thick paste.
- Then again cook to dry out any water in it.
- When its cooked and all water dries out. Fry garlic in butter, when its golden in color and fragrant, add ginger and fry for 2 minutes.
- Pour this fried ginger and garlic in cooked saag and mix well.
Serve hot with the fresh butter added at the time of serving.
You can make saag in bulk, freeze excess saag without tempering it and when needed, temper it and serve hot.