Rogan Josh- A classic Kashmiri curry which is traditionally cooked with lamb and is packed with flavors. The kashmiri red chilies used in this dish gives a wonderful bright red color to this gravy.
- 1/2 kg mutton/lamb (cut it into two inch pieces)
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons garlic and ginger, chopped
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 8-10 Kashmiri dry red chilies (ground to a paste)
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds, powdered
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 cups water
- 8-10 black pepper corns
- 2 black cardamom, powdered
- 5 green cardamom (peel the cardamom and using the spice grinder grind the seeds)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 2 cups yogurt
- 2 tablespoons coriander leaves
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons paprika
In a bowl mix lamb and yogurt and set aside. Heat oil in a skillet and add black peppercorns, cinnamon, powdered black and green cardamom. Stir fry for 1-2 min until fragrant.
Add onion and stir fry until golden brown.Now add lamb pieces along with garlic and ginger paste and stir fry for 5 min.
Once the lamb turn browned add the spices i.e. salt, red chilies paste, turmeric, cumin, fennel seeds and paprika along with 4 tablespoons of water. Mix well and cook for 10-15 min until the oil separates from the mixture.
Add water to almost cover the lamb pieces (2 cups) and bring it to boil. When it starts boiling reduce the heat and cook for about 1 1/2 hours or until lamb is cooked through.
- Before turning off the heat stir in the lemon juice. Garnish with coriander leaves and serve with boiled rice.