The name panang comes from the island of penang bordering south of Thailand.This homemade panang curry recipe can be made either with chicken or beef and when compared to other Thai curries it is mild in taste.
- 2 dried red chilies
- 1 inch piece galangal,chopped
- 2 tablespoons roasted peanuts
- 1 tablespoon coriander roots,chopped
- 1 tablespoon coriander seeds
- 1 tablespoon cumin seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon (ground)
- 1 shallot, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon shrimp paste
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 chicken, cut it into thin strips (instead of chicken you can also use beef)
- 400 ml coconut milk
- 3-4 tablespoons curry paste
- 2 tablespoons palm sugar
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 2 tablespoons oil
- thai basil leaves (for garnishing)
Add all the paste ingredients in a processor and process until a paste is formed.
Now heat oil in a wok and add chicken/beef. After stir frying for 5 min add panang curry paste ( home made or brought from the super market). Cook for 5 min with constant stirring.
Add coconut milk, when it starts boiling reduce the heat. Simmer for 8-10 min until the chicken is fully cooked.
Before turning off the heat add lime juice and fish sauce.