A fresh and flavorful dish from the Szechuan cuisine is Kung Pao Chicken. Its a wonderful combination of soft chicken slices, peanuts and Szechuan peppercorns. Szechuan peppercorns gives an excellent fragrance to this dish. Do try this mouth watering meal at your home.
- 1 pound chicken boneless, cut into slices
- 2 scallions, cut white and green part separately
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 8-10 dried red chili peppers
- 1 tablespoon garlic, chopped
- 1 tablespoon ginger, chopped
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon corn starch
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon ground Szechuan pepper
- 2 red/green pepper, diced (optional)
- 1/2 cup dry unsalted peanuts
- 1 tablespoon apple juice
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- In a large bowl combine chicken with all the marinade ingredients. Toss to coat and set aside for 10 min.
- In another bowl add vinegar, soy sauce, sesame oil, ground pepper, cornstarch and sugar. Mix well and set it aside.
- Heat vegetable oil in a wok . Fry the peanuts with constant stirring until peanuts turn golden. Transfer peanuts on paper towel so that the excess oil is absorbed by the towel.
- Add the dried red chili and stir fry for 30-60 sec. Now add chicken slices along with garlic, ginger and scallion (only white part) followed by red pepper. Sir fry for 4-5 min on medium heat.
- Now add the sauce mixture, water and mix well. Cook for another 5 min or until the chicken is fully cooked. Before turning off the heat stir in the peanuts, sprinkle green part of scallion. Serve with the steamed rice.