This famous grilled jerk chicken from Jamaica is marinated with classic island spices. The spice mixture can also be used to marinate fish, beef or even vegetables.
Try this at home, I am sure that everyone is going to love and enjoy it.
- 1 tablespoon allspice
- 2-3 scotch bonnet peppers
- 3 scallions(spring onion), quartered
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 inch ginger
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 stalk celery, cut it into thin strips (optional)
- 1 carrot, peeled and cut into thin strips (optional)
- 3 red reddish, cut into thin strips (optional)
- 1- 1 1/2 pound chicken, leg and thigh piece/breast piece
- In a food processor add scallions, garlic, ginger, thyme, allspice, black pepper, salt, lime juice, soy sauce and 1 tablespoon oil. Blend to make a smooth paste.
- In a large bowl or dish add chicken and pour the paste over the chicken ( Make sure that the chicken pieces are well coated with the paste). Cover and refrigerate for 6 hours ( For best result refrigerate overnight).
- Combine celery, carrot, reddish and oil in a bowl and set aside.
- Add the left over marinade paste in a pan and bring to boil, simmer for few min and set aside.
- Preheat the greased grill to medium. Place the chicken pieces on the grill rack and grill for 15 min. While grilling keep flipping the chicken to ensure equal heat and consistent dark brown colour. When the chicken is fully cooked,test by inserting a fork or knife near the bone. The juices should run clear.
- Divide the vegetables and chicken among the serving plates. Pour the boiled jerk sauce over the chicken and serve with rice and peas.
0 0 100 0