Gur Walay Chawal is a sweet rice dessert. It has the wonderful flavor of gur and is very famous across Pakistan & India.
If you have never tasted rice cooked in gur then you should try this simple and easy recipe which leaves you just licking your fingers.
- 1/2 kg Rice (half cooked)
- 1/2 kg Gur
- 1 1/4 cup Water
- 1/4 cup Ghee (clarified butter)
- 6-8 Green Cardamom (crushed)
- 50 gm Coconut (sliced)
- 50 gm Unsalted Pistachios (sliced)
- 100gm Almonds (blanched) (sliced)
- In a pan add water and gur (jaggery) and bring it to boil.Cook for 6 to 8 minutes on medium heat,then remove from heat and strain this gur syrup. Use a seive to strain the gur water in a bowl.
- Heat ghee in another pan,add crushed green cardamom and gur syrup.Bring it to boil. When it starts boiling add half cooked rice and mix well.Simmer on high flame until all the syrup has absorbed by the rice.
- Add sliced almonds, sliced pistachio and sliced coconut.Cook on low flame with pan tightly covered with lid for 6 to 8 minutes (to allow the rice to set).
- Dish it out and serve hot, plain or with some milk.