Dahi Baray are the fritters made from white lentils (mash daal) and green gram (moung daal) which are then soaked in yogurt. You can enjoy these soft and delicious Dahi Baray at your afternoon tea and is extremely popular in sub continent during the holy month of Ramdan.
There are very different variations in making these soft fritters but here is the one simple and quick recipe for you guys.
- 1 1/2 cup White Lentil (mash daal)
- 1/2 cup Green Gram (moung daal)
- 1/2 inch piece Ginger
- 1/2 cup Water
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp White Cumin
- 5 Green Chilies
- 1 kg Yogurt
- 1/2 tsp Chili Powder
- 1 1/2 tsp Chat masala
- 3 tsp Caster Sugar
- Oil for frying
- Soak white lentil and green gram in water for at least 12 hours.
- Blend white lentil, green gram, green chilies, and ginger along with small amount of water to make a smooth paste , salt, white cumin and water as required for blending.
- Add salt and cumin in the paste and mix well.
- Heat oil in a deep pan and pour this blended mixture with table spoon . Fry on medium heat until golden brown on both sides.
- Dip these baray in luke warm water for 2 minutes. Squeeze out water from baray by pressing in between hands. Place them on a dish.
- In a serving bowl add yogurt, caster sugar, chat masala and chili powder.Mix well. Now add these baray in yogurt. Garnish with remaining chat masala and serve.