Nihari is a famous curry across Asia. It can be made with chicken/beef/mutton and tastes best with naan. Try this recipe of chicken nihari and enjoy at any time of the day.
FOR NIHARI MASALA POWDER
- 2 teaspoons fennel seeds
- 2 teaspoons coriander seeds
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 8 black pepper corns
- 5 green cardamoms
- 2 black cardamoms
- 1 inch cinnamon stick
- 4 dried red chilies
- 1 badian ka phool (aniseed flower)
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ginger powder
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 tablespoons nihari masala powder (made at home or can be bought from the supermarket)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 kg chicken
- 1 tablespoon garlic, chopped
- 1 tablespoon ginger,chopped
- 8-10 cups water
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/4 cup oil
- 2 large onions, sliced
- 2 lemons, slices (for garnishing)
- 6 green chilies (for garnishing)
- julienned ginger (for garnishing)
- 1 bowl yogurt
- For nihari masala powder grind the first eleven ingredients into a fine powder. Add the rest of the ingredients and mix well. Store this masala powder in an airtight container.
- Place a pan over medium heat. Add chicken, 4 cloves garlic, 1 inch ginger and 1/2 teaspoon of salt along with 6 cups of water. When it starts boiling reduce the heat and simmer for 15-20 min.
- Take out the chicken pieces in a plate and set aside. Reserve the water separately (this water is known as yakhni).
- Heat oil in a deep pan. Add onion and fry until golden brown. Take it out and grind it along with 2 tablespoons of water to make a paste.
- Add chicken pieces, garlic, ginger and onion paste. Stir fry for 6-8 min
- Now add yogurt and nihari masala powder.Stir fry for 10 more minutes.
- Mix flour in 1/2 glass of cold water and add in the pan with constant stirring. When it starts boiling pour the yakhni. Cover and cook on low heat for 1 hour (stirring occasionally) until oil separates from the mixture.
- Turn off the heat and garnish with chopped green chilies and julienned ginger. Serve with naan and ENJOY!!!!
100 0 100 2