Calzone is an Italian cuisine. Its a folded pizza filled with cheese, veges and chicken/beaf, the choice and quantity of ingredients totally depend upon your liking and taste. Pack it in you kids lunch, as it is easy to carry than a pizza, or make it for your evening snack or have it with soup or some pasta to make a complete dinner.
- 2 cups All purpose flour
- 1 Egg
- 1 tsp Sea salt
- 1/2 tsp Castor sugar
- 2 TBS Olive oil
- 1 TBS heaped Yeast
- 2/3 cup Lukewarm water
Sift flour 2 to 3 times this will help it in rising. In a large mixing bowl, mix salt, yeast and sugar in flour. Add egg and olive oil to the flour mixture and stir well until all mixed well. Knead the mixture, with lukewarm water, into a soft dough, add a little more water to make the dough soft if its too hard. The dough should not be too hard and not too sticky, it should not stick to the walls of the container. Knead the dough, against the hard floured surface, with the palm of hand for 10 minutes or till soft and elastic. Grease the container with oil, sprinkle bit flour over it and put the dough in it, covered the container and keep in warm place leaving it to rise for approx 2 hours or until doubled in size, press it down to release the air inside. Keep the dough for 5 to 6 hours,repeat this pressing approximately after every two hours.
- 125 gms Boiled Chicken
- 1/2 tsp Sea salt
- 1 tsp Black pepper
- Diced Mushrooms (optional) add to taste
- 1/2 cup Diced Capsicum
- Black Olives add to taste
- 1/2 cup Diced seedless Tomatoes
- Crushed Peppers add to taste
- 1/2 tsp Oregano
- 1/2 cup each or as desired Mozzarella and Parmesan
- Ketchup or Chili Garlic sauce as desired
- Preheat oven at 450 degree F/ 230 degrees C/ Gas 8
- In a mixing bowl, add and mix all the ingredients together except tomato ketchup.
- Take out half of the dough, make it in a ball shape,on a floured surface, flatten the dough ball, to round circle crust, with hand or roller., to your desired size.
- Place tomato ketchup and spread evenly on half of the crust. Take half of the mixed ingredients, spread them on tomato ketchup, leaving approximately 1.5 inch of the dough around the edge. (Note:Do not over fill you calzone)
- Wet the clean edge with little water and fold the other side half way over, covering the filling, leaving again 0.5 inch of the edge. Now fold this half inch edge left over the closed edge and press down at some points with your thumb or fork to seal it and give it a more professional look.
- Repeat the same with the other half dough left.
- Place on a baking dish and bake in a preheated oven for 15 to 20 minutes, or till the dough is cooked. You may cover calzone with cheese before baking it to give it a cheesy look.
- Cut them into two halves. Serve hot.