Black forest cake is an English name of a German Dessert. It’s a chocolate cake having two or more layers, with whip cream and cherries in between each layer, and then the cake is decorated with additional cream, cherries and chocolate shavings.
It’s a perfect wedding or birthday treat as the kids would love its chocolaty look and of course it’s healthy with the cherries. Original recipe is made with black cherries.
- 1 3/4 cups Flour
- 12 TBS Butter
- 1 3/4 cups Sugar
- 4 medium Eggs
- 1 tsp Vanilla essence
- 1 1/2 tsp Baking soda
- 6 TBS Cocoa powder
- 5 ounces Chocolate finely chopped
- 1 1/4 cups Water
Filling and Garnishing:
- 1 cup Whip cream
- Whip cream half cup in piping bag, refrigerate it.
- 8 to 10 Fresh Cherries
- 1 cup Chopped cherries
- 2 cups Grated chocolate
- Sugar syrup: Mix 3/4 cup of sugar with 1 1/2 cups of water. Then add 2 TBS lemon juice, mix and chill till use.
- Preheat oven 180 degrees C or 160 F. Grease the cake pan with butter and set aside.
- Heat water till it starts boiling, remove from the heat, add chocolate and cocoa powder and mix well until all mixed and smooth. Set aside and let it cool for 15 mins.
- Mix together the flour and baking soda and sift at least three times. This will help your cake sponge to rise full and spongy.
- In a mixing bowl, beat butter until softened, then add sugar and beat till mixed and fluffy.
- Now add eggs one by one, while beating between each addition letting each incorporate fully before adding the next one. Add vanilla essence and beat well.
- Add a little of the flour mixture and beat until flour is incorporated. Then add the chocolate mixture and beat, repeat the same process, alternating between flour and chocolate mixture until all the ingredients are incorporated with smooth outcome.
- Pour the cake batter in a greased pan and bake in oven till its golden brown. Insert a skewer into the cake, if it comes moistened, give more time to cake in oven. Keep on checking, your cake is ready when the skewer comes out dry.
- Cool the cake on wire racks for about 45 minutes.
- Beat the whip cream till stiff peaks and refrigerate it for later use.
- With a big knife, carefully cut the cake horizontally into two parts and keep them aside.
- Working on with one layer, prick the cake layer from few places with a skewer. Drizzle 5 to 6 TBS sugar syrup over the cake layer covering the entire cake. Do not drizzle too much syrup as the cake might get soggy,
- Using a spatula, spread as much whip cream, over the cake, as you want leaving a gap of about an inch from the edge of the cake. Spread some chopped cherries over the cream layer.
- Place the other layer of cake over this decorated layer and press a little. Repeat the same process with this layer, adding syrup, then a layer of cream and then chopped cherries. Spread the cream evenly with a spatula covering the side of the cake all around.
- Refrigerate cake for about 30 minutes letting the cream to set and firm up.
- At the time of serving, take out the cake and decorate with cream in piping bag, making small circles all over the edge. Place a cherry in each of these circles, to make it more yummy.
- For more tempting look, especially for kids and chocolate lovers, spread a layer of grated chocolate over the cake covering the top of the cake with dark chocolate and hence the name black forest.
Cover all around the sides of cake with the grated chocolate too, to give it all chocolaty look. Refrigerate and serve.
Sugar syrup is a substitute for cherries syrup. it’s best if you use cherries syrup.