Baba ganoush is a popular appetizer. An egg plant is broiled over open flame and then its paste is mixed with tahini sauce. Its delicious because of its smoky taste and is usually eaten as a dip with pita bread.
In Lebanon onions, tomatoes and olive oils are also added in the egg plant paste.
- 2 medium egg plants
- 1/4 cup tahini sauce
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- With the help of a fork prick the surface of each egg plant.
- Now you can roast the egg plant either on the grill or under the boiler. Adjust the oven rack to the middle and turn the boiler on
- Place the egg plants on the baking sheet lined with aluminum foil and broil for 10-12 min until the egg plant is blacken on all sides (turning occasionally). Turn off the broiler
- Now bake the egg plants for 10-15 min in a pre heated oven. Make sure that the egg plants are very tender when you turn off the oven. You can check that by inserting the fork at the bottom of the egg plant.
- Split the egg plant and take out the pulp. Blend the pulp in a food processor until smooth. (Note: Instead of using food processor you can also use mortar and pestle to mash the egg plants)
- Add tahini sauce. chopped garlic, salt, cumin and lemon juice in to the egg plant paste. Mix well.
- Drizzle with olive oil and serve with pita bread. ENJOY!